Our mission is to be a vibrant, nurturing and inclusive congregation, enriched by our diversity, shared ministry and love. We inspire spiritual and personal growth for ourselves and our families. We live our values and act with our community to make the world a better place.
Our vision and covenant guide us in our growth as a congregation and our interactions with each other.
We, the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Columbia, use the transformative power of our faith to be a community where:
- We actively search for truth, encourage spiritual growth, and live meaningful lives as Unitarian Universalists.
- We seek to learn from the world's many religious traditions and celebrate an array of theological beliefs.
- We minister to each other with caring and compassion, building strong congregational bonds in love and friendship.
- We offer people of all ages a rich variety of programs that encourage, challenge, and expand our thinking.
- We welcome diversity in membership and make special efforts to attract, integrate, and engage newcomers, families, teens, and young adults.
- We each commit our talents and resources to the sustenance of the congregation, and acknowledge every individual's contributions.
- We are respected as a principled religious community that takes action and effects change which enhances the broader community.
Strengthened by our common humanity and inspired by our seven principles, we promise
- to be a safe and welcoming community;
- to nurture each other's hearts and spirits;
- to delight in the beauty of our diversity;
- to struggle together on our spiritual journeys;
- and to challenge each other to live our values.
Thus, we pledge our time and vigor to the continuing celebration of spirit, of the world, and of humankind.
UUCC exists to:
- provide a connected community of people where members experience a sense of home and family
- provide members with opportunities to grow intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually throughout their lives
- prepare our children to enter the adult world as independent thinkers with strong moral compasses grounded in the Unitarian Universalist faith tradition
- provide stimulating, challenging, and inspirational worship
- minister to members in times of need and times of joy
- welcome anyone who shares our Unitarian Universalist principles
- promote justice, equality and social responsibility, with special attention to racial justice which intersects with all other justice issues.
- extend the reach of Unitarian Universalism