Dear World Religions Parents,
In February, we start looking at Hinduism. I’ve had a challenging time making contact with the Sri Siva Vishnu Temple in Lanham, which is the temple visited in previous years, so if anyone has a suggestion for another place to visit, please let me know. Also, if you know a practicing Hindu who might want to visit the class and talk to us, please put me in contact with that person! firstname.lastname@example.org
I hope to arrange a visit for either February 11th or 25th.
- Consider watching the movie “Gandhi” together. Make some Indian foods or find an Indian restaurant. We also recommend you consider watching this video with your youth: Have a Little Faith with Zach Anner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-NzVIwyZso
- In our centering worship we will talk about how Hinduism believes in many Gods and Goddesses, of which Ganesh, the God with an elephant head, is one. He is seen as “the remover of obstacles.” To honor this, we will name people in our lives that helped us get through a hard experience or overcome a hurdle. Consider sharing with your youth an obstacle you faced and someone who helped you overcome it.
- Spend some time enriching your own understanding of Hinduism. For some background, see:
- Stephen Prothero on Hinduism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkAwQ3HqBac
- Hinduism 101: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGV6M4wQ8Os
- The Hindu Belief System: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XbpgtIl-hk
- Have a Little Faith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-NzVIwyZso
- Decoding the Gita, Roopa Pai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckaEwJj2A1U