Keep Up with our News

feed-image The LINK News Feed

Book discussion on “Mere Christianity” by C.S. Lewis with Kären

Written by Kären Rasmussen on .

Book discussion on “Mere Christianity” by C.S. Lewis with Kären

In seminary, “Mere Christianity” was one of the many required books I needed to read. I’m not Christian, so I thought I’d just blow through this book. To my surprise, I strongly connected with it. On 16 and 30 May, from 10-11:30 at OBIC, I’ll be facilitating a discussion on portions of the book. You’re welcome to attend both sessions or just one; each session will cover a different portion of the book. 

No need to register, just please read the book and come be a part of the discussion. I believe we might have a few copies of it in the UUCC bookstore to purchase.  For more information contact Rev. Kären at assistantminister@uucolumbia.net

Intersectional Feminism In This Moment

Written by Rev. Paige Getty on .

Join SURJ (Showing Up for Racial Justice) for a one-hour conference call on the topic of Intersectional Feminism In This Moment on Tuesday, April 18, 2017, at 8pm EDT. In this moment when millions of white cis-women are becoming mobilized and radicalized, how can we push the movement to organize beyond white middle class cis-women issues and towards racial justice? What common and historical patterns of white feminism should we make conscious and disrupt — now and for the long haul? Offered by Nicole Wires and the White Noise Collective. To sign up for this call, click here. To read about other conference calls in the SURJ Political Education series, click here.

PATH action re: Howard County as Sanctuary

I hope many of us from UUCC plan to attend the PATH action tomorrow (now today). Please see below the message that went to Jake’s distribution list, reminding us that we won’t be focusing only on CB-9, which is arguably symbolic, even if it passes. Rather, we are organizing for the long haul...

------ Forwarded Message
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017
Subject: Message from PATH Co-Chairs: See you at tomorrow's action!

Hello, PATH!

We are excited to gather in solidarity with our immigrant neighbors and leaders at the Wilde Lake Interfaith Center from 4:30pm-6:00pm tomorrow, Sunday, January 29, 2017.

We will stand together to advance the fight for the protection of our most vulnerable neighbors.

We will hear from young people who came to this country without documents and are now temporary residents under DACA. We will be joined by members of the County Council, and will have an opportunity to ask those Council members to stand with us to support and protect the undocumented residents of Howard County. And most importantly, we will make a commitment to each other, that our work does not begin and end with the bill that is before the Council. We will organize to go deep into our communities, listen to one another, and identify the issues that will make a difference in the lives of our most vulnerable neighbors through a major listening campaign.

As we continue in this fight, we are clear that the federal government, as well as local forces, are organizing against us. It will take all of us, and more, to stand as a bulwark against hate and division.

Thank you for your commitment to this work and to justice in Howard County.

In community,
Rev. Paige Getty, Co-Chair
Rev. Robert Turner, Co-Chair
Jake Cohen, Lead Organizer

--
Jake Cohen
Lead Organizer, PATH (People Acting Together in Howard)

------ End of Forwarded Message

'Squared Circle' begins Nov. 29

Written by Anthony Jenkins on .

Are you UU? Are you also Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard? 'Squared Circle' is a monthly congregational covenant group for Unitarian Universalist military members and veterans, embracing the fullness of this 'both, and'. This group, led by our Intern Minister Anthony Jenkins, will explore what it is to stand on the side of love - and serve in between peace's arc and war's jagged edges (living inside the apparent contradiction).

This group will be a supportive sharing space for deep reflection, affirmation, lamentation, issues around deployments/moral injury/TBI/PTSD, book and film discussions, guest speakers, and even a potluck meal or two (or three). Our first gathering will be on Tuesday 11/29 at 7pm in Sanctuary B. Kindly RSVP (and send any questions) to intern@uucolumbia.net.

A Like-New Pulpit! (Thanks, Marc.)

You may have noticed that UUCC's pulpit was missing its usual lectern these past two weeks. Well, it's back, and - thanks to the talent of Marc Volkmann - it looks beautiful with a new baseboard around the bottom and a stain color that will complement the cooler tones in the new sanctuary. Please take a look at the like-new lectern and join me in thanking Marc for his work and artistry!

Worship With Us

April 30 at 9:00am and 11:00am
Intern Minister Anthony Jenkins will preach
More info

General Information:

• Academic Year: Two identical services at 9am and 11am.  
  • Summer (Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend): One service at 10am.
Location: Owen Brown Interfaith Center (Directions), Sanctuary C, 2nd floor, East end of the building.  Read more about worship.

Join Us