Keep Up with our News

feed-image The LINK News Feed

News from the Board of Trustees

Written by UUCC Board of Trustees on .

The UUCC Board of Trustees meets on Wednesday evening, April 26 at 7:00pm at the Owen Brown Interfaith Center.

At its March 21 meeting, the Board:

• Approved the consent agenda (including the February meeting minutes, which may be reviewed here).
  • Revised Endowment Board disbursement policy to clarify how the target percentage may be changed.
  • Made a commitment to fully fund the full-time Assistant Minister position so that the Executive Team may proceed with the hiring process as established by the Board at its February meeting.
  • Chose to pay its own unemployment benefits, as there is no mechanism for a church to do so through the State of Maryland.

Please click here to review the tentative agenda for the April 25 meeting.

Board of Trustees February Synopsis and March Agenda

Weather permitting, the UUCC Board of Trustees meets on Tuesday evening, March 14 at 7:00pm at the Owen Brown Interfaith Center.  

At its February 21 meeting, the Board:

• Approved the consent agenda (including the January meeting minutes, which may be reviewed here). 
  • Asked Frank Hazzard to follow-up with the Endowment Board to clarify the specifics of planned disbursements.
  • Received an update on Annual Budget Drive: 170 pledges in – 63% of families and that’s 60% of our financial goal, and noted an increase in first time pledges.
  • Heard from Pat Heidel, Vice President of Cradlerock Children’s Center (CCC), who explained the recent hardships on CCC and requested more financial support from UUCC for scholarships.
  • Conducted its annual review of the Board-Staff Linkage and Governance Process policies.

Please click here to review the tentative agenda for the March 14 meeting.

Ends Monitoring Survey - Thank you!

Last month, the Board of Trustees asked you to complete a survey to assess our success in meeting our congregation's ends. Over 100 of you responded, and we'd like to thank you for taking the time to give us your input. A small committee is currently compiling and analyzing your responses. The board looks forward to receiving the results and seeing where we are doing well and where we need to improve. Thank you so much for your participation!

Monthly Memo from your President

Written by Rae Millman on .

Last Saturday, December 11, instead of braving the harried crowd at the Columbia Mall, I treated myself to a morning visit with the Bonilla family -- Jenny and Michael and their four children,Tomas (15), Lily (10), Sebastian (7), and Lukas (4). I had asked Jenny if I might hear from the family about their traditions around this holiday time.

The Christmas tree was set up and waiting for the lights and ornaments to further adorn it. The Bonillas have a complicated (at least to me) tradition of each child being given a special ornament each year and a " family" ornament. That way, when all grown up and starting homes and families of their own, each child will have ornaments to adorn their trees and Jenny and Michael will have ornaments that remind them of all of those precious years when the kids were growing up. I think that's the way it goes. As I said, it's complicated, but very sweet.

And there are, of course, food traditions that the Bonilla family follows annually. Christmas Eve is celebrated with Jenny's father and because her ancestors were from Scandinavia, they always have Swedish meatballs, red cabbage, and "homemade mac 'n cheese" (that doesn't sound Scandinavian!). Christmas Day, in a bow to his Dominican Republic heritage, Michael makes his "famous" puerco asado (pork roast), tostones (fried green plantains), ensalada de papás (potato salad), and arroz con habichuelas negra (black beans with rice). This is making turkey with mashed potatoes sound a trifle lame, just sayin'.

And if you still haven't had enough celebrating, wait until Three Kings Day, the Feast of the Epiphany (google it) on January 6 when each Bonilla child receives a gift from each of the Three Magi. So, it's good to be a Bonilla around Christmas time!

But, what I will remember most about my lovely visit with the Bonillas last Saturday was their retelling of the story of how they met. It was in a New York night club and Michael asked Jenny to dance, he says because she is so tall (and pretty), as he is also tall. So they started to dance and, as they both described it to me this many years later, time and space literally stood still for the both of them and they became the only two people on that dance floor. Love at first sight, how romantic!

So, as I leave for Park City to celebrate the holiday with my daughter and her family and my son and his, I want to wish all of you a very warm and safe holiday season and a Happy and healthy New Year.

Rae

Draft Agenda for December Board of Trustees Meeting

The next UUCC Board of Trustees meeting will be on Tuesday, December 13 at 7:00pm at OBIC.  View the tentative agenda here.  Minutes of past meetings are available in the governance document archive.  

Worship With Us

April 30 at 9:00am and 11:00am
Intern Minister Anthony Jenkins will preach
More info

General Information:

• Academic Year: Two identical services at 9am and 11am.  
  • Summer (Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend): One service at 10am.
Location: Owen Brown Interfaith Center (Directions), Sanctuary C, 2nd floor, East end of the building.  Read more about worship.

Join Us