From the Unitarian Universalists for Social Justice (UUSJ) executive director, Pablo DeJesús:
We need 2,000 signatures in two days to reach goal and act to end child detention (online petition here). Will you help? We had a beautiful and inspiring kick off for the Week of Action, with “Where Are the Children?” see our Facebook posts, and pictures below.
Yet, we only have till Wednesday morning to sign the Petition to Reunite Children with their Loved Ones to HHS Secretary Azar, Assistant HHS Secretary Johnson and Acting Director of the Office of Refugee Resettlement Hayes (online petition here).
- The petition asks to reunite children with their sponsors as quickly as possible, end collaborations with the Department of Homeland Security that interfere with reunifications, and close the Homestead Temporary Shelter for Unaccompanied Alien Children. Message: All children deserve to live in safety and peace. It’s time to reunite children with their loved ones.
- The coalition wants to gather 100,000 signatures to deliver to Dept. of HHS and key members of Congress, at last count we had 98,000. Help push us over the line!
- Wednesday, June 12 at 1:00 PM join us to deliver the petition at the United Methodist Building (100 Maryland Ave, NE, across from Capitol). We start with art, sign-making, and fellowship, followed by a press conference at 2:00 PM and then a march to the Department of Health and Human Services with a stop at Congress. The coalition will deliver the signatures to close Homestead and end child detention. See the Campaign portal for details.
- UU Ministers have been invited to speak.
- If you might join, let me know (firstname.lastname@example.org).