Animal foods demand a greater input of resources like water, fuel and land, and contribute to deforestation and biodiversity loss, than plant-based foods. For example, the carbon cost of beef is about 20 times more per gram of protein than it is for beans.
Take Action With Meatless Mondays
Join thousands of others committed to enjoying meatless meals every Monday. We have a Meatless Mondays Cookbook with proven recipes that you can try!
Why Eat a Plant-Based Diet?
Watch a Ted Talk by Dr. Joanne Kong at University of Richmond
Information and Links
- How plant-based diets can help reverse the climate change crisis. (Vox.com)
- Cutting Greenhouse Gases From Food Production Is Urgent, Scientists Say (New York Times)
- Michigan State: Principles and Benefits of CSAs
- How Eating More Plants Can Save Lives and the Planet
- See a presentation from Dave Liker of Gorman Farms Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)
- See the presentation from a climate forum UUCC hosted titled “Does What We Eat Matter?“
In this video, The incomparable Jane Goodall describes the links between human behavior, climate crisis and plant-rich diets.
View Jane Goodall video.
Contact: Chris Crandell