[Implementation of phase 1 of “Right Relations covenanting process & support team” (p. 44, TRC Final Report – Specific Recommendations)]
Draft and implement an Interim Covenant of Right Relations and propose and implement a process for testing it and addressing any issues that arise.
This committee will begin its work in September 2021. An Interim Covenant of Right Relations must be presented to the congregation before the end of November 2021, to be implemented and tested throughout this congregational year through May 2022. The committee will provide the Board with a update in June 2022, following the Annual Meeting.
- Interim Covenant of Right Relations: In the short-term, this committee will survey available Covenants of Right Relations from other UU congregations and other sources and adopt or adapt relevant portions for an Interim Covenant of Right Relations for UUCC’s use in this current program year.
- Implementation: The committee will propose and implement a process for testing the Interim Covenant of Right Relations in the congregation and addressing any issues that arise, helping us to understand how a Covenant of Right Relations works in practice.
- Recommendations & Plan: At the end of the testing phase of the Interim Covenant of Right Relations, the committee will provide the Board with a report on their observations, including a plan that recommends how to best carry out the additional TRC Right Relations recommendations.
- Communications: In addition to a presentation to the BOT in June 2022, the committee is requested to advise the Board periodically regarding the committee’s activities, emerging observations, and/or recommendations/questions warranting further BOT guidance. Communication with the congregation is at the discretion of the committee’s chair.
- Process Continuity: In fulfilling the charge, committee members are additionally charged to affirm and promote the UU 7 Principles and our UUCC Beloved Community Resolution, the latter specifying the need to dismantle racism and other oppressions. In addition, the Board asks this committee to coordinate efforts (e.g., timing of surveys, events, etc.) with the other committees formed to ensure wide congregational participation.
Interested in serving on this committee?
This committee will be comprised of 3-5 individuals representing congregational diversity, appointed by the Board. The TRC also recommends convening a group or groups who would be responsible to lead the congregation in developing a UUCC Covenant of Right Relations (which would replace the Interim Covenant of Right Relations) and navigate conflicts that arise in violation of that covenant. This committee will not be addressing those recommendations; members of this committee will have the option, but not the obligation, of serving to complete these later objectives.
While this committee will be working separately on their specific charge, all committees created by the Board as a result of the recommendations from the Trust & Reconciliation Committee are working towards the common goal of building and rebuilding trust in the congregation.
Anyone interested in volunteering to join one of the committees should contact the Board at email@example.com.