This Friday (12/8) is our Middle School support for the Warm Welcome Shelter at OBIC. Thanks to all our families who’ve signed up to support our neighbors in need!
This Sunday (12/10) is the Megachurch visit to Church of the Redeemer, 19425 Woodfield Road, Gaithersburg MD 20879. The service starts at 11:00 am, lasts a bit more than an hour, and our group will join the youth pastor, Henry Espinoza, for a 10 minute discussion following the service. It’s about a 45 minute drive without traffic, please plan accordingly. Please click here to RSVP if you haven’t yet!
No class on Sunday evening 12/10, in case you were wondering!
Dinner and Drive Time Tips
- Ask your youth which of the 8 practices of welcoming they are thinking about this week. Which matters to them most? Which is the one they want to work on or which do they think will be most important on their visit?
- Remind your youth to bring an offering. We recommend an amount of $5.00.
- Remind your youth about dress requirements: clean and neat, please.
- Ask your youth to share their favorite part of the visit.
- Reflect with them on your own experiences with and understanding of the megachurch. Be sure to model a gracious spirit and talk about what you appreciate about megachurch worship and Evangelicalism .
- It’s a perfect time to reflect on the birth of Jesus. Use this video clip of a movie of the Biblical story as a way of doing just that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDCppAnelDI
- Explore some of the myths surrounding Jesus’ birth story. http://www.religioustolerance.org/myths-about-jesus-birth.htm