Join staff members Robin & Kelli on Sunday, January 23 at 12pm via Zoom for our UU Kids for a Livable Planet chat and art session! We’ll talk about what it means to have a healthy world and then prepare art work to send to our Maryland legislators to support climate solutions and human rights! All are welcome; join us!
Background Maryland legislative info for parents & caretakers from UULM-MD!
The Unitarian Universalists Legislative Ministry of Maryland (UULM-MD) will advocate for two significant pieces of legislation in the 2022 Maryland General Assembly, including:
Environmental Human Rights
- Each person has a fundamental and inalienable right to a healthful and sustainable environment, and said right shall not be infringed.
- The state, as trustee, shall protect, conserve, and enhance Maryland’s natural resources, including gits air, lands, waters, wildlife, and ecosystems, for the benefit of both present and future generations.
Climate Solutions Now
- Sets Maryland on a path to net zero carbon emissions by 2045 with an interim goal of 60% reductions by 2030. Requires the creation of new Buildings Electric Performance Codes
- Require that construction of new buildings greater than 25,000 sq st be all-electric and requires transient of existing building to all electric
- Building more efficient schools that rely on clean energy
- Requires electrification of the state fleet by 2030
- Requires methane emissions data to be monitored on a 20 year basis
- Increased emphasis on environmental justice in disproportionately affected communities
- Create systematic plans for workers displaced by the shift to clean, renewable energy