UPDATE (Wednesday, Dec 23)
I am sorry to report that we are watching KIRK CAMERON’S SAVING CHRISTMAS together tonight. The bracket has spoken; it is officially our worst holiday movie. So join us on Zoom at 7PM to watch and snark together on this absolute travesty of a “film.”
Here are a few review excerpts to get you in the spirit for tonight:
- “Perhaps the only Christmas movie I can think of, especially of the religious-themed variety, that seems to flat-out endorse materialism, greed and outright gluttony.” —Peter Sobczynski, rogerebert.com
- “[Cameron’s] characterization of Jesus as a “material” gift to us from God – evidence, he claims, that God wants us to shop – should offend anyone who balks at placing the Christ Child on the same scale as a $25 gift card.” —Michael O’Sullivan, Washington Post
- “Had Saving Christmas run any longer, Cameron would no doubt have found a way to find the divinity in Frosty, Rudolph, the Grinch, peppermint bark, the Elf on the Shelf, frosted cranberry hand soap and Mr. Hanky the Christmas Poo. —Alonso Duralde, The Wrap
ZOOM LINK: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81471023108
We took nominations and are now voting on what is the WORST holiday movie out there. Cast your vote here! https://www.polltab.com/bracket-poll/N3RygwXed5
And then join us on Wednesday, December 23 at 7PM for a virtual watch party. Pour yourself a beverage, grab a cozy blanket, and be prepared to snark on a truly terrible film.
Details for joining the party are TBD, pending what movie wins the bracket. We might use Zoom, or we might use scener.com—stay tuned for details!
A few notes about the bracket:
- You’ll find a trailer for each movie when you click to view the photo for the movie (click on the icon that looks something like ⁅ ⁆ ). Enjoy. Some of these are gloriously awful (which is the whole point).
- You are limited to one vote per round per browser. So if you really want to game the system and force people to watch a particularly egregious film, you can go crazy with multiple browsers, incognito mode, clearing cookies, etc…
- There will be 4 rounds of voting. Each round ends at the following times:
- First round: midnight on Tuesday, Dec 15
- Second round: midnight on Thursday, Dec 18
- Third round: midnight on Sunday, Dec 20
- Finals: midnight, Tuesday, Dec 22
Have questions or want to join the conversation on WhatsApp? Email Valerie, Director of Youth & Young Adult Ministry, at email@example.com.