Position Announcement: Executive Director
The Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Columbia (UUCC) is looking for an Executive Director (ED). Together with UUCC’s senior minister, the ED serves as the CEO/Chief of Staff of a dynamic and growing congregation with nearly 500 members, friends, and regular attendees. The ED reports to UUCC’s Board of Trustees. As we deepen our understanding of white supremacy and intersectional oppressions, we are looking for an Executive Director who is compelled to work where their values are aligned.
The essential functions of the Executive Director are to oversee administration, information technology, facilities, and financial operations.
Critical details of these functions include:
- Oversight of all financial processes and data supporting UUCC’s annual budget of $800,000. You will support UUCC’s Annual Budget Drive team in its effort to solicit pledges from UUCC congregants; support UUCC’s Auction Team in its annual effort to raise $50,000+; prepare the draft annual budget; and monitor the implementation of the budget and payment of pledges.
- Supervision of UUCC’s Office Assistant, Bookkeeper, Sunday Coordinator, and Director of Communication and Member Integration. You will ensure that UUCC office operations are smooth and continuous in serving members and supporting both paid and volunteer staff.
- Management of various communication functions including the congregational website and email.
Working and collaborating with outside service providers and consultants, including IT service providers, attorneys, banks, accountants, insurance providers, and other financial institutions.
- Serving as UUCC’s primary contact for the Owen Brown Interfaith Center (OBIC), where UUCC is housed, including attendance at the regular meeting of the OBIC Board of Directors, support for UUCC’s OBIC directors, and consultation with and support of OBIC building management staff.
- Administrative support to the UUCC Board of Trustees, including consulting with the President in planning the Board’s monthly meetings, preparing monthly (and other periodic) reports from the Executive Team, and other materials necessary for the Board to perform its essential functions.
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Determined to help make the world better. At UUCC, we challenge each other to live our values. The ED exemplifies this spirit and works in concert with the minister, the Board of Trustees, the Director of Religious Education, and the entire congregation to act on our principles.
- Well-organized: You understand both the big picture as well as the myriad details required to make the vision a reality.
- Adaptable and flexible: You enjoy doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction and attention.
- Works well with people: Unitarian Universalists affirm and promote acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations. As ED, you will help to ensure that we act on our principles in the administration of the congregation’s business.
- Have a bachelor’s degree and/or significant relevant experience.
- Have solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting. Quickbooks experience is a plus.
- Are able to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, to staff, the Board, volunteers and UUCC congregants.
- Have knowledge and experience with fundraising strategies and donor relations in a religious and/or non-profit setting.
- Are very well-organized with abilities to plan, delegate, monitor, and report on and manage multiple tasks and activities at any given time.
- Have demonstrated management experience and an ability to lead staff.
- Enjoy collaborating with and being around a large, diverse, supportive, motivated, and sometimes-challenging group of people.
UUCC is committed to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and equity. We believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different. Persons of color and/or who are LGBTQ are especially encouraged to apply.
Preferred start date is October 1, 2019.
Salary commensurate with UUA Fair Compensation guidelines.
Applications will be considered as they are received, so please apply as soon as possible. Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Columbia, MD (Required)
- The Executive Director is expected to attend evening meetings (7-9pm) twice each week, on average, as well as Sunday worship and/or related activities (8am-2pm) about twice each month, on average.
- United States (Required)