The story of the prodigal son has stirred imaginations and prompted countless interpretations since its earliest tellings. In this service, we explore works of art inspired by the story through the generations. What do these various treatments of the timeless tale reveal about the artist? about the story? and about us as an audience? Join us as we consider what is lost and what is found in humanity’s collective obsession with this story.
- Rembrandt: Return of the Prodigal Son
- Henri Nouwen: Return of the Prodigal Son
- Allison Funk: “The Prodigal’s Mother Speaks to God”
- The Joffrey Ballet: George Balanchine’s Prodigal Son | Inside the Studio
- Li-Young Lee: “Mnemonic”
- Duane Michaels: The Return of the Prodigal Son