View December 20th important update about this January’s Warm Welcome Shelter here.
This winter, the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Columbia, Christ United Methodist Church, Muslim Family Center, Sri Sathya Sai Center, and Iglesia Apostolica Fuente de Verdad are working together as the OBIC Interfaith Collaborative to host the Warm Welcome Shelter for our neighbors who need emergency housing. Congregants from all of our communities are invited to participate in this effort!
From January 15-22, 2024, our congregations will support a week-long shelter located at the Grassroots Day Resource Center in Jessup. Together, we’ll provide 3 meals a day for around 30 guests, as well as the toiletries and supplies they’ll need to be comfortable during their stay.
There are many ways for you and your family to get involved:
1. FOOD PACKING | We will be hosting a family day of service food packing event on Sunday, January 14, 2024 at OBIC. At around 11:15AM (after UUCC and CUMC services end), we will pack 400+ grab-and-go non-perishable meals! All ages are welcome. This will be an all-hands-on-deck effort, a logistical feat, a chance to meet people from other congregations, and a service project for the whole family on MLK weekend. We’ll need around 50 volunteers to help pack these meals, as well as 15 adults to serve as station captains. VOLUNTEER SIGN-UP
2. DONATE | What will go into those 400+ grab-and-go meals? Non-perishable food items that you donate. Check out the list of items and supplies we’ll need, and sign up to donate by clicking here: DONATION SIGN-UP. Bring your donations to room 213 at OBIC between January 2-13, 2024.
3. DONATIONS SORTING | As donations arrive, we’ll also need assistance with sorting them so that things can flow smoothly at the food packing event. These sorting days will be Monday, January 8 and Saturday, January 13. VOLUNTEER SIGN-UP
4. MEAL DELIVERY | After all the meals are packed, we’ll need delivery volunteers and drivers to bring the meals over to the Day Resource Center. VOLUNTEER SIGN-UP
5. DINNER SERVICE | During the week of the shelter, we will provide a warm catered dinner to our guests every evening, and we’ll need a team of dinner volunteers to serve the meal and clean up afterward. Because the shelter space is small, these teams will be limited to 4 people and 1 team lead. VOLUNTEER SIGN-UP
If you have questions, please reach out to your congregation’s primary contact:
- UUCC: Paula N.
- CUMC: Tracy K.
- Muslim Family Center: Wardah A.
- Sri Sathya Sai Community: Rajani G.
- Iglesia Apostolica Fuente de Verdad: Karla G.
Do you want to support Grassroots’ winter shelters but aren’t able to help the week that the OBIC Interfaith Collaborative is hosting? Grassroots has volunteer needs during the following weeks, and you can sign up to help individually: